August 15, 2009

Eye Patches and Wooden Legs

We've got a band of pirate squirrels around here. How do I know this?

BECAUSE THEY'VE BEEN RAPING AND PILLAGING OUR GARDEN!!
We planted corn this year for the second year in a row. We planted more than last year because I've finally learned how to cook fresh corn, and because Mr. Big could eat corn on the cob for every meal for the REST OF HIS LIFE. I was excited.

I did the happy dance every time I saw signs of a little ear popping out of the stalk.

I got a chill down my spine every time I saw the hairy tassle thing sprouting out of the ear.

AND THEN THIS HAPPENED.

Now I cry a little every time I go to see how the garden is doing. And just when I thought we'd actually get a COUPLE of ears for ourselves, they were destroyed the next day.



However, this story does have a happy part to it.
I fell in love again with my husband today. He was walking back to the house holding a BB gun.

TAKE THAT YOU BLASTED PIRATES!

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh, drats, those blasted squirrels. My hubby would've been out with the bb gun too.

We planted corn for the first time this year, and it grew great (and the squirrels didn't get it, possibly because our dogs are vigilant about keeping furry and feathered critters out of our yard). But when I cooked it and it tasted . . . not right . . . I did some googling and discovered the kind I'd ordered was for corn that is being made into cornmeal, not corn to be eaten off the cob. Oops!! May we both have better luck next year :).

Glenda (Wren & Stitchy)

momtofatdogs said...

I have a Squirrel Dog. He's not your normal, average, little teeny tiny "squirrel dog". He's a 90 pound German Shepherd & those dang squirrels don't dare get closer than 10 feet tot he ground or he GETS them! I got him to be the guard dog, he's no good at that - so I guess squirrel catching is just as good......

Sam in Middle TN